Recorded June 20, 1978
We, the founders and staff of Sun Grove Montessori School, believe that children and adults have rights and responsibilities. We intend that Sun Grove Montessori School be an environment designed to protect these rights and develop these responsibilities.
We believe that children and adults at Sun Grove Montessori School have the right:
- to an environment conducive to the continuing growth of the person.
- to respect for the dignity of their persons and their ideas.
- to work individually and in small groups with appropriate freedom of movement and consultation with other teachers and children.
- to relate to others in an open and honest way.
- to know what kind of behavior is expected of them by other teachers and other children.
We believe that all persons, children and adults, are:
- gifted in many ways.
- always ready for learning in some form.
- individual and unique.
- responsible for their own actions.
- continually developing inner discipline.
We believe that all children learn:
- by interaction with other persons and things.
- through movement.
- by observation and reflection.
- through trial and error.
We, as founders and staff, intend to make the Sun Grove Montessori School environment work by:
- agreeing as a group to the way in which we will act toward the children and adults.
- preparing environments which help children get into direct contact with experience.
- understanding the way in which children develop.
- being skilled in environmental management.
- being careful not to intrude when children are positively involved in learning experiences.
We, as founders and staff, intend to be:
In order to protect these rights and develop these responsibilities, we agree upon the following rules:
- We respect each other’s persons, ideas and work.
- We move and speak appropriately.
- We are responsible for the places in which we work and the things we use.